Monday, January 19, 2009

Web 2.0 Awards -- Citysearch - #19

Citysearch won 3rd place in the Web 2.0 awards under "Guide & Reviews". I love the idea of Citysearch, but I'm not overly thrilled with the actual product.

Overall it seems a little clunky. The site is graphics-heavy which results in slow loading. And all of the sponsored results and advertisements are intrusive and can be confusing. (If you're not paying close attention, you can easily confuse the sponsored advertisements with your search results.)

I also lament the inability to search for specific areas of the city. No matter how great a place may be, if it's a twenty-five minute drive from where I live or work I'm not interested in making it my bakery/café/deli/etc.

Of course my favorite aspect are the individual reviews. The editorial reviews, when available, are an excellent complement. The site makes adding a review rather easy, with a combination of multiple choice questions and freehand comments from the reviewer.

*looks up at review* Goodness. I sound like I hate the site. Well, despite the usability drawbacks, I think I'll be using Citysearch regularly from now on. I really, *really* like the local aspects.

1 comment:

Citysearch said...

We're glad you're a fan. And Thanks for the feedback!

Citysearch is striving to improve. If you haven't already, try out our new beta at http://beta.citysearch.com and let us know what you think. You can leave comments using the link in the big yellow tab at the top right.