Friday, January 16, 2009

Wiki - #16 & #17

I've already looked at some of the online aps, like Google Docs. I'm thinking a wiki would be useful in a lot of the same situations. (Mostly for group collaborations.)

I think a wiki would be more useful for library staff as they assemble the thing they're creating for library patrons. (For example, while they are in the process of creating a subject guide or writing a grant proposal. I'd think once the group has 'finished' their document they probably wouldn't want patrons to come along and re-write it. *shrug* I guess it would depend on what they were creating, but. . . )

After using both I think I like Google Docs better. You have more control over the content and who can change the content. (And I'm a bit of a control freak.) But mostly I dislike the appearance of wikis. (I find them ugly and somewhat dysfunctional. Or maybe it's just the one I was trying to use. *shrug*)

At any rate I added my library's name and my blog's name to the plcmclearning wiki sandbox. Sort of an 'I was here' mark.

No comments: