Saturday, January 24, 2009

Mobile Technology - #7

I think almost any prediction I might make about the way mobile technologies like cell phones, wireless Internet, laptops and such will change the way people seek information will look very obvious or very stupid in a very short amount of time.

Cell phones have been touted as a great way to help connect with others. And while some undoubtedly have found that to be true, I'd like to take a moment to complain about one of the effects I've noticed most often. The death of courtesy. People drive down the road determined not to let the traffic interfere with their phone conversation. People in line at the coffee shop get annoyed that the person behind the counter wants them to interrupt their phone conversation to order. Grr.

As far as information seeking goes. . . While I have in fact used my cell phone to call the library in order to ask a question, I think those who own something with an Internet connection of some kind are more likely to seek the information themselves. Let me give you an example. Recently I was visiting with several family members including my parents and an aunt and uncle. We were debating our route home and our time of departure. My father expressed concern about the traffic (since we'd have to travel directly through the *very* large city my aunt and uncle live in) and my uncle promptly whipped out his Blackberry and started checking the local traffic reports. Now, his computer was maybe fifteen away, the TV less than that, but he went straight for his Blackberry. That situation was hardly uncommon. I've been in restaurants with him when someone asks a question and he'll whip out his little device and try to answer the question.

I think the growing prevalence of mobile devices will encourage the growing trend of people seeking the information they wish themselves rather than relying on traditional sources (like libraries). To a certain extent I applaud the idea, but I think most people aren't as information-savvy as they think.

No comments: